Having a flower girl at your wedding is a nice way to make a favourite little person feel a part of it all. Traditionally she carries a basket full of rose petals but there are other alternatives. She can carry a single bloom, a pomander (a pretty ball of flowers), or our cute little felt flower handbag to hold the petals she will throw at your feet. She will also have a keepsake after the wedding. Rest assured, whatever she carries, or does, she will get plenty of oo's and ah's!
- For the flowers you will need felt squares in four colours of your choice*
- For the handbag you will need two rectangles of felt (23cm x 31cm)*
- pink pearl seed beads
- tacky craft glue
- templates and marker
How to create
- Download the template. Trace large and small flower templates onto felt. Cut out five large flowers and five small flowers in each colour and 20 small circles in various shades for the centres of the flowers.
- To assemble the flowers select a large and small flower and a coloured centre in complementary colours and glue together with tacky glue. To complete the flower sew a seed bead to the centre.
- To make the handbag, fold one piece of felt in half so that it measures approximately 15.5cm wide and 23cm long. Pin and sew the bottom and side seam of the bag with a 6mm seam allowance. Take the two bottom corners and sew a seam across each end approx 2.5cm from the outside edge . Turn the bag out. Measure 2.5cm from the top of the bag and fold to the inside. This makes the top edge stronger and help the bag hold its shape.
- For the handle, cut two strips from the second piece of handbag felt 3cm wide and 30cm long and glue together. Once dry, cut in half lengthways to make two handles. Pin the handles in place on the inside of the bag and sew to secure.
- Arrange the felt flowers on the outside of the bag and pin in position. Once you are happy with the arrangement glue each flower to the bag.
TIP: Place the side of the flower that has been marked with the template to the back to give a better finish.
* Acrylic or wool felt can be used for this project. In general wool felt is softer while acrylic felt is firmer and holds its shape better. Our recommendation is acrylic for the bag and wool for the flowers.