Remember the scrapbooks of photos and magazine clippings you kept as a teenager, or you may have one now for your upcoming wedding or another interest? Well, Pinterest is your new online visual scrapbook.
Thousands of images are added to Pinterest every day so there is no limit to the wedding inspiration for brides, and suppliers in the bridal industry too.
How does it work?
Users of Pinterest 'pin' images or videos from their favourite blogs or websites, which then display in their Pinterest profile. You can also 'repin' other people's images that you find on Pinterest, and 'like' and comment on pins.
Once you start following other people there will be lots of pins to choose from! People can follow you on Pinterest and you can follow other people (and businesses) automatically - they may be people you do or don't know, who live locally or on the other side of the world.
To pin images from a website or blog you'll need to install a 'Pin It' button to your browser which you can get from Pinterest when you create a profile. It's easy to install and makes pinning much easier. You can also download the Pinterest app for your phone so you're never without inspiration when you are meeting with your wedding suppliers - who may even have their own Pinterest profile.
When you 'pin' an image you will need to select which 'board' you want it to display in, on your Pinterest profile. You can create 'boards' for any topic at any time. It's a good idea to create a few boards when you first set up your profile and then add more as you progress.
Sign me up!
To set up a Pinterest account you either need to be invited by someone who is already using it or you can add your name to a list to be invited by Pinterest. If you'd like us to invite you to Pinterest just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your details - we'd love to have you onboard the Pinterest journey with us!
Some simple tips for making the most of the newest social media kid on the block:
- Follow other brides and wedding suppliers on Pinterest - that way you will get loads of ideas, and hopefully they will follow you back. Pinterest is a great way to get to know potential suppliers for your wedding too.
- It's important to be a responsible pinner and either credit the source of the pin (eg, the photographer) in the pin description or link your pinned image or video back to its original source.
- Pinterest includes a search function so you can seek out particular types of images. For example, if your wedding is themed in the colour yellow search 'yellow wedding' and Pinterest will find pins that match that term.
- If you see something worth remembering for your wedding when you are out and about, take a photo and upload it to Pinterest - that way you will always have it to hand with your other pinned images.
- Allow your bridesmaids and anyone else involved with the planning of your wedding to contribute to your Pinterest boards - just add them as a 'contributor' in the 'Edit Board' section of each board (don't worry, you can disable their status as a contributor if they inundate you!)
- Pinterest is really easy to use once you get the hang of it, so create a profile and start pinning - you'll be a Pinterest princess in no time at all 🙂
If you're already using Pinterest and have some tips for other brides you can leave a comment below, and please follow Modern Wedding on Pinterest.